• Native Instruments Guitar Rig
  • IK Multimedia Amplitube
  • Scuffham S-Gear
  • Overloud THU
  • Line6 Helix Native
  • Positive Grid Bias FX
  • Mercuriall
  • Waves PRS Supermodels
And these VSTs not only have guitar amp modeling, but usually full guitar effects like overdrive/distortion, compression, delay, modulation, etc. 

Laptop hardware is reasonably stable and with great, inexpensive digital audio interfaces, I can see these being used live. Many guitarists have refused to do this, but I think it's because of their inexperience with laptops and knowing how to optimize it for music audio.  Synth/EM bands have been using laptops and SW for years with no issues.  You do have to get a good interface so you get low latencies for playing live. I have heard of people saying they cannot live with latencies of a 10 milliseconds, but this is ridiculous as this is equivalent of being 10ft from their speaker cab.  You can definitely play live with a few milliseconds delay!

Here's a good article:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/...nterface#7

Guitars: Electric guitarists generally play a few feet from their stacks, and since the speed of sound in air is roughly a thousand feet per second, each millisecond of delay is equivalent to listening to the sound from a point one foot further away. So if you can play an electric guitar 12 feet from your amp, you can easily cope with a 12ms latency.
Neural DSP arguably have some of the best VST guitar plugins today. My favs:
* Archetype Plini
* Archetype Nolly
* Omega Ampworks Granophyre
My new favourite Guitar sim:
Neural DSP Archetype Petrucci