Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop as guitar rig
It's becoming more viable as a real guitar rig:
  • Existing Windows laptop running Reaper and VST plugins
  • Cheap USB digital audio interface with MIDI
  • FCB1010 MIDI controller
  • 10 or 12" PA speakers like the Alto TSA210
Can probably get all this for like $500 (not including the laptop which people already have).  Pretty amazing.
(01-04-2018, 08:21 PM)jtkung Wrote:  It's becoming more viable as a real guitar rig:
Can probably get all this for like $500 (not including the laptop which people already have).  Pretty amazing.

I agree it’s getting more viable but I essentially gave up modeling and sending to a FRFR system in a live situation. Theoretically it should be great. I would get tones that sounded splendid in headphones and low volumes but when I got to the point where I had to compete with a band - it always sounded off and was difficult to hear. I started with one Alto 212, went stereo with 2, then went to Atomic CLRs. With Atomic I could cut through but kept getting comments that I sounded funny in several different bands from people who largely thought I was playing through an amp. I’ve gone back to a tube amp and pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-04-2018, 11:37 PM)G-ManStrat Wrote:  
(01-04-2018, 08:21 PM)jtkung Wrote:  It's becoming more viable as a real guitar rig:

I agree it’s getting more viable but I essentially gave up modeling and sending to a FRFR system in a live situation. Theoretically it should be great. I would get tones that sounded splendid in headphones and low volumes but when I got to the point where I had to compete with a band - it always sounded off and was difficult to hear.  I started with one Alto 212, went stereo with 2, then went to Atomic CLRs. With Atomic I could cut through but kept getting comments that I sounded funny in several different bands from people who largely thought I was playing through an amp. I’ve gone back to a tube amp and pedals.

Were you in a small gig situation or a much larger room? I think the modeler/FRFR excels at larger venues with a good PA and sound guy -- where there's control over the sound and direction. In smaller venues, I think it's a lot harder to get right and a tube amp works well enough and the sound guys are more familiar with it. Plus, the sound on stage is closer to what you want it to be.
(01-06-2018, 06:03 PM)jtkung Wrote:  
(01-04-2018, 11:37 PM)G-ManStrat Wrote:  

I agree it’s getting more viable but I essentially gave up modeling and sending to a FRFR system in a live situation. Theoretically it should be great. I would get tones that sounded splendid in headphones and low volumes but when I got to the point where I had to compete with a band - it always sounded off and was difficult to hear.  I started with one Alto 212, went stereo with 2, then went to Atomic CLRs. With Atomic I could cut through but kept getting comments that I sounded funny in several different bands from people who largely thought I was playing through an amp. I’ve gone back to a tube amp and pedals.

Were you in a small gig situation or a much larger room? I think the modeler/FRFR excels at larger venues with a good PA and sound guy -- where there's control over the sound and direction. In smaller venues, I think it's a lot harder to get right and a tube amp works well enough and the sound guys are more familiar with it. Plus, the sound on stage is closer to what you want it to be.

I think you may be right. My situation was in small rehearsal studios and small gigs where my guitar wasn’t going through the PA - just vocals. I think in a situation where the modeled guitar is going through the main PA and the FRFR is used as a stage monitor it would work. My issue with that scenario is it’s hard to dial in your sound before hand. However, I have read posts by people who do it . Most of the still favor a tube combo for small rooms though.

Check this out ... many people starting to look at laptops as gig units with a MIDI controller:

With plugins like this one, you really can get by with just a laptop and a good interface.

Just take some plugins from Neural DSP and Mercuriall (Euphoria) and with a powerful laptop and good audio interface -- I think there's no doubt you can gig with this and sound tremendous!