Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless units comparison
This is a very quick review and summary of 2 wireless units I compared.

Muslady 2.4Ghz wireless unit    

Boss WL-20 Specification comparison
Parameter                     Muslady           Boss WL-20
Sample Range              24b/48KHz       Unknown
Latency                        <12ms                2.3ms
Range                           100ft outdoors   15m (50ft)
THD+noise                  -98dB                 Unknown
Dynamic range            >105dB A wgt    >110dB
Operating Band            2.4GHz              2.4GHz
Frequency response     20-20KHz          20-20KHz
Expected battery life      2-3 hours          12 hours

Let's first get the battery life claims out of the way. Boss claims up to 12 hours battery life. This is not true.  In real life situations, and without going to extended ranges, it's more like 2-3 hours from my experience. The Muslady doesn't say, but the unit is lighter and probably has a smaller battery so I would expect less.  I haven't fully tested this yet, but review on the internet say about 2-3 hours

You can see both units are comparable in specs except for the latency. The WL-20 is much less at 2.3ms. This might also be coupled to less range of 50ft.  The Muslady is <12ms.  At 12ms, you can definitely hear that as a delay, but that is a maximum spec.

However, note that the latency in air is about 1ms per foot. So if you are 10ft from your cabinet or sound source, you will hear a delay of 10ms!   Thus, if you are using any wireless for any long distance, you will hear far more latency through the air than through the wireless unit.  Unless you are using in ear monitors.

Comparison to a George L cable, 15ft
I compared both units to a George L cable that was about 15ft.  This is an excellent, low capacitance cable.  My listening was with the guitar reasonably close to the cabinet and the transmitter/receiver also reasonably close. 

Muslady: I did not hear a noticeable difference between it and the cable. There was a very slight hum, but not noticeable at all when playing.  This might be interference with other devices as it disappeared under certain circumstances.  At any medium volume, it was not detectable  There seemed to be a very slight latency, but really could not be determined.   High and low frequencies were well represented. Overall, I was very impressed. 

Boss: It was similar to the Muslady in that I could not really tell from the cable. It did seem the latency was slightly lower when doing harmonics or things with a hard attack. but it was so small, it was not noticeable.   There was no buzzing with the WL-20, however.

Both were also tested some distance away from the amp -- about 20ft in an open room, and no change in sound or dropouts occurred. 

Conclusion
The Muslady was impressive for only $45 CAD shipped from China.  This is 20% of the price of the Boss.  You could buy 2 of these and easily do a gig and set, with one being a backup.  It doesn't appear as sturdy as the Boss, but as long as you don't bump the TX unit it should be OK. The RX unit stays immobile at the amp or pedalboard, so that should be OK.  I would always be careful in plugging and unplugging these units, though. Rough handling is what will cause these units to fail eventually.

I really love Boss units, but at this price, it's hard to recommend. The battery life claim is false and I've also heard you cannot replace the lithium battery inside.  The same exists for the Muslady, but I think both units can be taken apart, and I'm sure the battery inside is some standard size which you can get from the internet.  So the longevity might not be great for both units if you aren't willing to disassemble and replace the battery yourself. But for $45 CAD for the Muslady, this is worth it and is hard to beat. Longevity and reliability are still unknown, but for now -- the Muslady is highly recommended.
There's a new sheriff in town ... the Ammoon AM-5G wireless system that uses 5GHz spectrum. Probably less distance, but less noise and congestion in this band.  Here are the specs:
Sample Rate: 24bit/48KHz uncompressed professional sound quality
Wireless Band: 5.8G
Latency: 5.6ms
Range: 30m / 98.4ft outdoor or 15m / 49.2ft wall distance
THD+ Noise: -98dB
Dynamic Range: > 105dB A weighted
Frequency Response: 20-20KHz, 1dB/-3dB
Channel: 4 sets of devices working at the same time
Battery Capacity: 1100mAh
Playing Time: 8h
Charging Device: 1 in 2 out USB charging cable (support quick charge)
Item Size: 9 * 4.3 * 1.4cm / 3.5 * 1.7 * 0.6in (unfold state, the main body)
Item Weight: 51g / 1.8oz (single one)
Package Size: 15.3 * 12 * 4.5cm / 6 * 4.7 * 1.8in
Package Weight: 230g / 8.1oz

About $54 CAD

I have tried it and it sounds extremely good with long battery life. 

[Image: I5894-1-8bd6-o9Uf.jpg]
The Ammoon 5G is what I would recommend now. It's in the 5G band so when used with equipment that also needs bluetooth, there's no interference. With the 2.4G units, there's significant interference with bluetooth, so they can't be used.