Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRS Robben Ford Signature
New Signature from PRS --- Robben Ford.  I am sure times are tough and it helps his income. The price is ~$5K which isn't bad, but then you look at the actual features and it doesn't add that much to a CORE model, so in that sense -- not much gained. I like the African Blackwood fingerboard, but that's about it.  The pickups are signature and these have the most effect on the tone.  The rest is like a CORE model. The bigger headstock isn't that great.

Sad to hear Robben say that Paul goes out of of way to make the guitar playable and for the player. What about offering stainless steel frets?  Rounded fret ends?  Then the final kicker ... Robben says at 4:38 ..."I think he's the only guy out there innovating ... really."

You got to be kidding! What is innovative about this Sig model, or any of his bling Private Stock?   NOTHING! And in the demo -- the guitar doesn't sound that impressive at all. Slight breakup tone that sounds a little harsh. Where's his Dumble tone? Howabout showcase some clean sounds, split coil, etc.? I guess not. More sales pitch, less actual product demo.  Sad. 

And if that PRS is so great and innovative -- let's see if Robben plays it exclusively on tour and on record. He can then retire his old Les Pauls, Teles, Sakashtas, etc. because the PRS is just so much better! :-)
According to some reports on The Gear Page, Robben is on tour in Europe in late 2022 and he's playing his Tele -- not his own signature PRS. So if it's such a great, innovative guitar -- why not play it?

In Italy with a premiere crowd (Eric Clapton) and players -- and he's playing ... his Tele!

Here he is in Helsinki playing the PRS. It doesn't sound that great to me. A bit too harsh in the high end, not smooth.

Listen to him here with the Sakashta Nou Paul. Wow -- so much better.